Expert Witness Services
Expert Witness Testimony and Representation
Due Process Hearings and Federal/State Education Litigation
As a licensed doctoral psychologist and authority on the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and related federal disability laws, Howie has been an expert witness—testifying on behalf of parents, school districts, and state education departments—in many federal or state court cases, and innumerable due process hearings. These cases have largely focused on special education law and litigation, although some have addressed broader mental health and related psychological issues.
More specifically, Howie has provided Federal, State, and Due Process testimony in cases involving:
- Disabled students' right to a free, appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment (LRE)
- Alternative school placements and manifestation decisions
- Corporal punishment and disproportionality
- State personnel development and support systems
- Appropriate multi-tiered services to students with autism, emotional disturbances, learning disabilities, and other mental health needs
- The adequacy of 504 and Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and academic and behavioral intervention programs/plans
- The provision and use of positive behavioral interventions and supports.
If you need a licensed (school) psychologist with a winning track record as an expert witness to represent you, your child, your district, or your agency, Howie would be happy to provide a free initial consultation.